Jacqs is a twenty-eight year old woman caught up in an on again, off again relationship with Bond, who is her best friend and the one who causes her the most heartache. She succumbs, yet again, to his powerful charisma, but vows not make it into more than it is, a great night of sex.
Bond, too sexy for his own good, wants Jacqs for himself as he “dates” his way through the female population of South Florida. He selfishly doesn’t see the conflict of interest.
Red, Bond’s best friend, has watched Bond take Jacqs for granted for way too long and soon stakes his own claim on her.
Will Red and Jacqs budding relationship pull apart their tight-knit group of friends and will Jacqs survive being Stuck In Between.
I received this book from the author, Blakely Bennett, as part of a Book Blitz, in exchange for an honest review.
I have to confess, I have somewhat mixed feelings about this book. There were some parts I loved and others I hated. I will say though once I started it, I couldn’t put it down until I finished it. Bond drove me bonkers and I was able to see how Jacqs was jerked back and forth with him emotionally. I hated him one minute and loved him the next.
Red however, I just loved the whole way through. To be quite honest, he is the only reason I stayed entranced with the story. He was the warmth and light to Bond’s cold and dark
There are a couple things that REALLY irritated me though. I don’t consider them plot spoilers and if they are, I apologize in advance. But these are things that ruined the story for me, so I feel it’s important to specifically point them out since they do affect my rating.
- The snowballing.(If you aren’t sure of the term, look it up) I felt it was uncalled for and really emasculating to Red. It just took away the respect I had for him. I admit, it’s not my cup of tea, for others it might be a point in favor. I WILL say, it’s definitely unique and the first I have read of it in all the erotica books I’ve read.
- The bouncing between cock and phallus. It just didn’t make sense to me. Why bounce between those two words? It made the feel of the book go from erotica to anatomy and was distracting. Each time I seen the word phallus, my brain would skip a minute and go “Huh? What’s that? Oh, yeah…it means penis.”
- The clit description. Again, this might be a personal issue, but I hated seeing the words bloated and bulging in reference to it being aroused. It just didn’t sound sexy in the least.
That all being said, I admit these issues I had, were personal preference. But that’s what a review is meant for. To give our personal opinions of the experience we had while reading the book.
I loved so many parts of this book. I loved the emotional connection between Red and Jacqs. He was sweet and his feelings were true. The bondage scenes were wonderful and unique. I found myself looking up some of the things he did just to see the actual images since I’d never heard of them. This book, despite some of my dislikes, still has the quality of stepping out of the box with some scenes.
Bond is just a mess, but secrets are revealed that will explain his actions. I was extremely happy to see the author didn’t allow the secrets to sway feelings. That empowered Jacqs. I can’t stand weak female characters and Blakely Bennett didn’t disappoint me.
I will include my rating system so the author and readers can see how I come to my final rating. I try to be fair, while staying honest and true to myself.
I have to say, even with all my pet peeves, I still really enjoyed this book. The lack of sleep is proof! My eyes remained glued to the pages and I couldn’t wait to see what would happen next.
- Plot – 8: I found a couple moments unbelievable or inconsiderate, depending upon how you want to see it. I can’t elaborate without including plot spoilers. I’ll just say this…there should’ve been more recoop time for the “headache”. Perhaps added at least a couple days time span before the fun began.
- Characterization – 9: I will miss Red. I really loved him. I would’ve liked to find out more about Lanie and Dawg. Who she was seeing and what was with his insecurities? This might be a series and those answers will be given in the following books. So I subtracted 2 pts in case there wasn’t any follow up books and added a point back in case there was.
- Style – 6: This is the category that was affected by switching between cock and phallus. Also the bloated and bulging clitoris.
- Threshold Quality – 6: I honestly don’t know if I would read follow up books. If they were already out, I likely would. I AM really interested in reading more about Lanie and Dawg. But by the time the next book is written(if it IS a series), I will probably have moved on.
- Addictiveness – 10: As I’ve said, Red really drew me in. I could NOT put this book down until I found out where exactly he would end up. I just totally adored him. ♥